-- Vasily Klyutchevsky, Russian historian
> From: Larry Hodgson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Question 1:
>
> I assume that a prime lens of 50mm, let's say a FA 50 1.4, is always going
> to be sharper than a FA 28-105 set at 50mm. Is this true,
> assuming that both
> were set at the same f-stop?

Yes and no. If you put both at a small stop, say f/22, diffraction will
dominate both lenses regarding sharpness. At the lower stops, you will loose
sharpness and contrast and experience more flair with the zoom. It's the
necessary cost of passing the image through more glass. For most use, this
is not usually noticed and in many situations the convenience of the zoom
overshadows any losses (that are usually only seen by us anyway).

> Question 2:
>
> Is a FA 100 2.8 Macro as sharp as a FA 135 2.8 at infinty for landscapes?

Don't know.

> Can I kill two birds with one stone by getting that Macro?

Sometimes. One of the birds usually killed when opting for a fast macro is
the wallet bird, the one that chirps "money, money, money". On the other
hand, if you need the macro anyway...

Regards,
Bob...
"History is not a school-mistress. She does
 not teach. She is a prison matron who
 punishes for unlearned lessons."