Hi guys,

 I've been thinking about TTL flash recently.

 Within the Z-1p I believe the TTL flash sensor is centre-weighted.  So if
you're trying to flash a small object close to the lens, where the background
is comparatively much further away, the flash ends up overpowering the
subject to try and achieve an acceptable average over both foreground and
background, within the coverage of the sensor.

 I figure that a better way of doing this would be to control the flash by
making the lens communicate its focus distance back to the body, and the
flash communicate its GN.  The body can then figure out exactly how much
flash power to apply for a correct exposure at that distance, as a fraction of
what the flash can actually provide.  For consistent results the flash power
would have to be controlled by the flash itself, perhaps using a sensor behind
the tube used in a similar fashion to the old auto-flash sensors (I wouldn't
want a totally open-loop system).

 Has anyone actually implemented such a system?  I'd totally love it for my
macro work, and any portraiture where the subject doesn't totally dominate
the frame.

 If noone's done it then I'd like my name on the patent please, Pentax :)

Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E.
email [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield