Today's state-of-the-art flash exposure system basically combines
the matrix metering with pondering the flash output according to focus
distance info. The pre-flash - required to compute main flash output -
is very short (likely less than 1/100 of the total power) and very
close to the main burst (possibly less 1/1000 sec). As it doesn't
significantly affect the guide number, even a small integrated flash
can employ this technology.

   Anyway, all of the above may be crucial for photo journalism or
sports photography. To me it doesn't matter much as long as I still
have to compensate to avoid getting 16% grays out of deep blacks
tuxedos or pure white petals. And, as long as I have to think about
colour reflectivity, why not take the time and do the compensation
trick for too eccentric or too small subjects, or too prominent
foregrounds.

   Servus, Alin