From: aimcompute [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 4:53 PM
To: Pentax Discuss
Subject: FS: Pacific Image PrimeFilm 1800u Scanner

Hi all,

Six months after moving I got my desktop system set up again and can now use
my Minolta scanner.

While on a travel assignment I had purchased a Pacific Image PrimeFilm 1800u
scanner to use with my laptop, which I am now willing to part with.  It is a
little less than a year old.  It connects via USB.

Specs are at: http://www.scanace.com/pro_pf1800-index.shtm   The model I
have is the white one.

I have to say that I am not overly impressed with this scanner though some
on the list have used it and been happy with the results.  It may be that I
just didn't have the time to perfect my usage.

As far as I know, it works as intended.  I have noticed the following things
which bother me, but I can't tell if they're normal, abnormal, in some cases
whether it's software or hardware, or just what you get with a $199 film
scanner.

1) When the scan head is doing it's thing, the noises are sometimes soft,
sometimes loud.  It may just be the scan head vibrating the rest of the
plastic case.
2) Sometimes the scan I get is posterized.  If it happens twice in a row, I
turn the scanner off and back on and the resulting scan is as expected.
3) The scanning software preview window sometimes does not refresh it self
properly.  This is either a problem with the software itself or a
software/laptop compatibility problem.
4) There is one slide I have that it consistently interprets a portion of
the slide incorrectly.  It is an orange-hued door on the side of a boat
where the whole frame is coppery-orange from the setting sun.  For some
reason the scanner interprets the door only as grayish-blue.  It is only
this one slide out of 50+ images that causes this kind of problem.

There is a software update for the scanner which I have never installed.
I'm sure I've scanned less than 100 images.

The following PUG submissions were made with this scanner:

http://pug.komkon.org/01mar/earthrec.html
http://pug.komkon.org/01jan/RedSkyatDawn.html
http://pug.komkon.org/00dece/MORESC.html
http://pug.komkon.org/00octo/Highlands.html

I paid 199 USD + shipping.  I don't expect to get that much for it of
course.  I have original box, packing, manual, software, AC Adapter. If
anyone is interested, please contact me off list.

Tom C.