>> Interesting take, blaming the misuse of software
>> for a problem,
>> rather
>> than those who misued the software.

>Well said.  I get to see quite a few ppt
>presentations at work and they
>never impress me.  It has nothing to do with ppt
>itself - they're just
>bad presentations.

Well, this oversimplifies the problem by
underestimating the way in which tools condition our
thinking and condition the problems and solutions at
hand.  It is also surprising that anyone would
casually and quickly reject a thinker such as Tufte
trying to tell us something.

I would not say the medium IS the message but
certainly it alters, limits, abstracts the message in
various ways.  This may happen independent of our best
intentions.

It is overly idealistic to imagine that humans are
these perfect things hovering high above the world
making decisions; in fact we are immersed in the world
and are conditioned by its perameters.  Our thinking
is conditioned by the language we happen to use as
well as by the software we select (or have selected
for us, for the most part).  No matter how perfect we
think we are, a presentation is going to be different
with different media - people will learn different
things.  We make different mistakes when using
different tools.  Engineering projects have different
types of failures based upon different types of
software, and versus doing things "by hand".  Assuming
humans haven't changed, this focuses the attention on
the role of the media and methods thereof.  Also, at
the extreme, different types of projects become
possible and impossible.

Humans are not limitlessly creative or vigiland
therefore we rely upon convention, precedent,
technique, culture, tools, etc. to influence answers -
this is a part of life and not necessarily "bad".
(Most pieces written on piano are different than those
written on guitar - and few are capable of dreaming up
complete pieces in the abstract not associated with
instrumentation, while laying in bed...even they are
conditioned by memory of the instruments).  Given that
this is a fact, one can then turn attention toward
laying a certain amount of blame on tools and methods
that are more mistake prone in certain contexts.
Powerpoint is certainly a media which predisposes one
to certain errors mainly related to oversimplification
as Tufte argues.  Yes, if we were almost perfect and
nearly godlike we would catch every mistake and only
have ourselves to blame, but in fact as soon as one
relies on a tool and gives over some responsibility to
the tool (which we must and always do) then we can
speak about the influence of the tool itself and about
how for example powerpoint may have been a legitimate
contributing factor the shuttle disaster.

Chaso