Yes it is best to slightly underexpose on the DSLR. Keeps the threat of
blown out (over-exposed) highlights down.  Blown out highlights
translate to no ink on paper, completely lacking in detail.
Under-exposure can usually be made to print normally with a little
correction.

Len
 * There's no place like 127.0.0.1