From: Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Photography: Fun or Profit????
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:11:59 -0800

This bit of discussion reminded me of a very profitable and very fun instance in the
summer of 1968, when I was just getting started in photography.

At the time I had very little money, and was living in a storefront in San
Francisco. The storefront had a big darkroom in back, and, downstairs, in the
"bargain basement" as we called it, a couple of home built drying cabinets for
negatives.

In those days I'd be up early, and start wandering through the city, a "flâneur"
photographer, looking for things to photograph. On this one particular day I was
walking down Mission Street, a big shopping area at the time, which was filled with
restaurants, shoe stores, butchers, poultry markets, five-and-dime stores, radio
repair shops, and the like. You know the kind of street I'm describing. Anyway, I
walked by a fish monger, and there, in the window, standing ankle deep in ice,
wearing high, rubber boots and white aprons, were the two owners of the shop holding
a fish that was about six feet long. It took the two of them to hold it, and they
were standing side-by-side in the window, facing the street. They were going to
place the fish on the ice for display. The timing was right, and I snapped a quick
exposure while they were looking right at me, smiling, holding this fish, and
looking like they just stepped off the boat. You could almost smell the sea in that
1/125 of a second.

I stuck my head in the shop and told them that I'd return with a print for them, and
later that day I delivered a nice 11 x 14 printed on Agfa Brovira (some of you will
understand - vbg).

They were quite pleased, and asked me to wait a moment as they had something for
me. In a few minutes one of the guys returned with a big package, and told me to
enjoy dinner. When I got back to the studio I opened the wrapping paper, and there
were a couple of nice, fresh crabs, some shrimp, and some halibut. I called my
girlfriend and she brought some salad fixin's and a bottle of crisp, white wine, and
that evening, sitting on boxes and with a box for a table, we had a wonderful dinner
by candle light.

That was one of the best days I ever had making photographs.

Shel

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca