From: frank theriault [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 9:27 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Photography: Fun or Profit????

Shel,

Please tell me that the fish was in exchange for the very first photograph
you ever "sold"!

That would make it the perfect story (not that such a thing exists <g>).

I truly enjoyed your recollection, Shel.

cheers,
frank

"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist
fears it is true."  -J. Robert Oppenheimer

>From: Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Photography: Fun or Profit????
>Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:11:59 -0800
>
>This bit of discussion reminded me of a very profitable and very fun
>instance in the
>summer of 1968, when I was just getting started in photography.
>
>At the time I had very little money, and was living in a storefront in San
>Francisco.  The storefront had a big darkroom in back, and, downstairs, in
>the
>"bargain basement" as we called it, a couple of home built drying cabinets
>for
>negatives.
>
>In those days I'd be up early, and start wandering through the city, a
>"flâneur"
>photographer, looking for things to photograph.  On this one particular day
>I was
>walking down Mission Street, a big shopping area at the time, which was
>filled with
>restaurants, shoe stores, butchers, poultry markets, five-and-dime stores,
>radio
>repair shops, and the like.  You know the kind of street I'm describing.
>Anyway, I
>walked by a fish monger, and there, in the window, standing ankle deep in
>ice,
>wearing high, rubber boots and white aprons, were the two owners of the
>shop holding
>a fish that was about six feet long.  It took the two of them to hold it,
>and they
>were standing side-by-side in the window, facing the street.  They were
>going to
>place the fish on the ice for display.  The timing was right, and I snapped
>a quick
>exposure while they were looking right at me, smiling, holding this fish,
>and
>looking like they just stepped off the boat.  You could almost smell the
>sea in that
>1/125 of a second.
>
>I stuck my head in the shop and told them that I'd return with a print for
>them, and
>later that day I delivered a nice 11 x 14 printed on Agfa Brovira (some of
>you will
>understand - vbg).
>
>They were quite pleased, and asked me to wait a moment as they had
>something for
>me.  In a few minutes one of the guys returned with a big package, and told
>me to
>enjoy dinner.  When I got back to the studio I opened the wrapping paper,
>and there
>were a couple of nice, fresh crabs, some shrimp, and some halibut.  I
>called my
>girlfriend and she brought some salad fixin's and a bottle of crisp, white
>wine, and
>that evening, sitting on boxes and with a box for a table, we had a
> [...]

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn
.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca