Because ....

Actually, my curiosity was piqued by a comment made during a discussion of
B&W "imaging" made on the Photoshop list.  The commentator suggested that
those who have never made their own B&W prints might be at a disadvantage
when it comes to creating B&W images in the digital workflow.  That got me
to thinking about the good folks on this list, and, partially to generate a
little discussion wrt darkrooms and film, and partially to learn who has
experience with darkroom work so I can put some of their comments into
perspective if need be or so desired, I posed the question.