----- Original Message -----
From: "Boris Liberman"
Subject: Pentax service question

> To cut the chase short. The darn guy on the other side of the phone
> line refused to give me a number in dollars. He claimed that unless
> they inspect the broken camera, they don't give out quotes...
>
> To me it appears purely idiotic. I mean, I couldn't possibly demand
> satisfaction if for whatever reason the actual price of repair would
> have been different. Ultimately, he could just tell me that
> __normally__ such kind of repair costs __this__ many bucks, but __in
> my very case__ it could be different, which they would be able to say
> __exactly__ if I submitted the camera for inspection.
>
> Instead, he just wouldn't agree to tell me anything...
>
> So,
>
> 1. Have I had just a bad luck and bumped into what we call in Hebrew
> "smallheaded" one?

Um, no. What you have run into is CYA. If the guy gives you a quote without
seeing the product, and it turns out that there is more to the repair than
just the optical block, there is the possibility that they will be stuck
repairing the camera for the incorrectly quoted price.

> 2. Is it normal?

It's the way things work in North America.

> 3. How could I have bypassed him?

Probably you couldn't have.

William Robb