This is what he eventually decided he would do - just buy a
replacement.

It is unusual to me that what I've described was actually natural. It
is very user-unfriendly. But then again, I am not used to the way of
living on American side of the pond.

I can see the reasons and in Israel sometimes it is the same behavior,
but still I thought it was different in States.

Well, thanks for the lesson.

Boris,

Let's put it in another medium. How comfortable would you feel in giving me
an estimate on the time and costs necessary to produce a program if I only
gave you a vague idea of what I wanted from it and nowhere near the detailed
specs you should need in order to create a reliable estimate? Perhaps, you'd
even think that I was a little stupid to ask in that way.

That's pretty much what you were asking. Any estimate an honest repairer
could give you would have to be too broad to be meaningful to your friend.
Of course, the repairer should have been careful to make sure that you
didn't think he considered your question stupid.

Larry in Dallas