----- Original Message -----
From: "Tanya Mayer Photography"
Subject: Re: Multiple exposure shot over course of the year

> Ok, guys, maybe this is the inexperience coming out in me again, BUT, I
> don't "get" this photo.  Technically, how is it possible?  I mean if those
> shots truly showed the sun, then how did it manage to show it as a perfect
> little circle with no flare/rays etc?  AND if it truly is 38 separate
> exposures, each taken at different times of the year, then there should be
> different shadows all over the shot everywhere, and clearly they are all
> leaning to the left as though the sun is to the right?  I don't know, like
> said, maybe I really don't know much at all about photography, but this
shot
> just doesn't seem to be "right" to me?  Also, if that truly was 38
separate
> exposures then wouldn't the highlights on the stone ruins etc be totally
> burnt out?  BUT, then it says there was only one "foreground" exposure, so
> how is that possible?

It looks like the 38 exposures were done at a very high shutter speed/ small
aperture combination, and probably through an ND filter to keep the sun from
burning a hole through the film. Doing this would ensure that the forground
and sky is exposed very slightly, probably not enough to push the film over
the threshold where it shows exposure.
Look at where the shadows are falling. The sun in the fill (forground)
exposure is actually camera right, outside of the frame, and would have been
shot later in the day than the early morning exposures of the sun.

William Robb