Ok, so after reading some of your responses and after chatting with Rob
Studdert today, I now "get" this.  The one MAJOR point to me, is one that
Rob pointed out.  The MZ-S doesn't have aperture priority from the body.  I
had NO IDEA of this, and to me, this alone is a huge mistake that Pentax is
making.  If they are releasing new lenses that can't be used on their self
proclaimed "flagship" camera in Aperture Priority mode, then that is just
downright crazy.  Being unable to use old lenses on newer bodies and vice
versa isn't SUCH a big thing for me, as we all know that there will come a
time where technology just doesn't allow for them to all "gel", but to
release a "flagship" model camera and then lenses that can't be used on it
in that mode, that is just ridiculous (well, to me anyways).

William, of course I do understand that the aperture ring controls the
aperture and that its absence can prevent this.  What I was thinking was
that this would only affect the older bodies that are completely manual, and
as such wouldn't facilitate any control over exposure settings if it can't
be set on the body.  I thought that this was, at least, "acceptable" as the
concept of being unable to use a new lens on a body that is 20 plus years
old, really doesn't phase me. BUT, I hadn't looked at it from the opposite
perspective whereby, even Pentax's newer cameras wouldn't be able to support
their newer lenses.  That is just crazy....

I "get" now, your statement about "the dictates of the camera intruding", as
before this, I was just thinking to myself, "well, why don't they just set
the aperture on the body of the camera", of course, I now realise that this
isn't always possible.  I wasn't assuming that everyone shoots in "program"
mode though.  If that were the case, then this discussion wouldn't even be
happening as many of the older cameras that this applies to don't even
support any form of "program" mode.

I shoot almost exclusively on AV or M, mode, and usually with manual focus
too, believe it or not.  I don't know so little that I "spend my entire life
shooting on programmed exposure mode".  In fact, I don't think I ever have,
except if I set the camera up for my hubby to take a pic of me with our kids
etc. Aperture priority would be much to complex for him to understand... ;-)

tan.