OK, so some of you may have read my recent post.  I ordered a lens (FA* 28-70
f/2.8) from B&H.  It came overnight, was in the original box, looked as new,
but was missing the hood, a $75 touch.  I had, of course, no way to prove that
the lens was without a hood, so, having dealt with poor customer service before
(though not from B&H), was slightly concerned about the likelihood of getting
them to see my side.

This morning, I called Israel Hartman (sp?), the used equipment manager, who
was insanely busy on this last day before the New Year.  He looked up my order,
said, "there is no question that you deserve it", put me on hold while he
walked to the warehouse and retrieved the hood from the other used lens they
had in stock, returned to the phone, and said "I've got it in my hand as I
speak."  He verified my shipping info and sent it by UPS Express to me at no
cost.

I know what many of you will say, and you are right.  This is the way
retailers, particularly those doing business over the internet, where their
customers buy on faith of the retailer's word, SHOULD operate.  However, the
reality is that many retailers wouldn't and don't.

After it had all gone through, I asked him, "Why did you take my word on this?
How do you know I'm not just trying to get a free hood out of you?"

He said, "Because mose people are honest. Only a few are crooks.  But very few
crooks target used lens hoods.  If some do, then it's just the cost of doing
business."

Bottom line:  B&H, from whom I have purchased three expensive lenses and a
Domke bag with only this one wrinkle, have come through.  I have no hesitation
in recommending them.

Happy New Year, all.

Mike