I just received an A 50mm f/2.8 Macro lens "in pristine, like new
condition", according the eBay seller. I have a question regarding the
proper extent of lubrication for the focusing helicoid.

The lens arrived in something less than the advertised condition, with a
light grease smeared on the rear element. I've never used a macro lens
before, and the ability to peek inside and see the helicoid lubrication
raised a question: What's it _supposed_ to look like in there? How much
grease should there be on the helicoid? Does it evaporate to coat the
glass surfaces over the years, or does the condition of the rear element
suggest that the "pristine, like new" lens was given (too large) a
dollop of grease just before I purchased it?

Thanks for any input.

Brian Walsh