Bob S. provided this helpful response to my "How much grease should be
in there, anyway?" query:

>I cranked the lens out and looked inside.  I can see the helicoil but no
>grease on mine...maybe a little bit on one of the groves at the very back.

>I stuck my finger in and touched the helicoil.  It came out dry, no grease.

>I have had the lubricant in a 28mm smear the lens when I left it in a hot
>car (never a good idea).  Otherwise, I can't imagine what good purpose
>that grease is serving.  What does the local repairman say?

I just opened the package, and I haven't had time to do much more than
look at all that grease, and contemplate the tragedy of blowing a big
time shot by getting too close to Elvis's pompadour: Just a single,
grease-smeared shot of what looks more like a sneering Kurt Russel. (My
shot of the Yeti's tonsils was ruined when the elusive creature rather
forcefully exhaled on my lens, but at least the ice crystals melted off
without the aid of powerful organic solvents. I suppose the the extra
working distance of the 200/4 macro might provide some protection from
such environmental hazards, but the A 50/2.8 macro seemed, well, so much
more affordable.)

Todd Stanley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) eased my pain a bit by stating that his
macro lens, at least, has some goop in it, too--though none on the
glass. . .

Thanks for your replies. I suppose I'll try to clean the lens up, and
see how it works. If it has problems, perhaps I can describe it on eBay
as "exceptionally smooth focusing" and make a killing.

Brian Walsh