I don't own stock of Hamrick, but I really think you make a mistake
here.
Vuescan often works a lot better then the original software. I was
amazed when I used it for the first time. The nice thing is, Vuescan
doesn't mess up with anything on your system, it doesn't remove your
original software nor does it interfere with it. You can try it, as long
as you don't register it you can use it with a watermark. It doesn't
work as a twain driver, so you don't call the Vuescan software from
Photoshop or, but you use Vuescan independantly. It can save a file
directly on your drive after scanning, you can edit it later in whatever
program you want to use.
Your scanner might be a lot better then what you think it is, only
producing less good results because of the mediocre original software.
TRy it, small download, easy install, easy uninstall, no mess on your
system, no changes to the registry, etc.

--
Frits Wüthrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>