I think the PKA in this means Auto diaphram, or that the lens is wide open
for focusing and composing (and metering on most cameras), and stops down
automatically for the exposure.  The earlier Tamron lenses were simple stop
down lenses.  Something to check for is if the A contacts are present on
the mount of the lens.

I just thought of another way to possibly take a meter reading, which
involves using the lens release button, and twist the lens so it stops
down.  Then the shutter speed it the meter displays should be accurate.
But this is tricky and risky in the sense you could easily drop the lens,
body, or both while trying this stunt.

Todd