On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:38:21 +1000, you wrote:

snip
> I am
>well aware of  "snipers", but NO bidding activity in 8 whole days?  It sure
>does make you wonder.
>
>Tanya.

If I don't really want something, unless it ends at a fabulous bargain
price, I bid on it in the early or middle stages of the auction.

If I "sorta" want something, I bid a modest sum during the last couple
of hours, and forget about it til the auction is over.

If I really want something, I bid a carefully considered price during
the last few seconds of the auction.

I believe there is a lot of shill bidding on Ebay. That's why I don't
just stick a full-price bid out there and leave it. A shill could take
on two email addresses, gradually driving up the price to my maximum,
then the username which outbids me cancels his bid, leaving me the
high bidder, but at an artificially inflated bid price.

 When I see guys with little or no feedback driving up the price, I
get the heck out of there.

Early bids drive up the final price, and early bidders seldom win
auctions for the good stuff. So if you want to lose the auction, or
want to drive up the price, bid early and bid often.

It doesn't take long for savvy Ebay buyers to learn this lesson.
Really good equipment can go for days without a single serious bid,
then receive a flurry of bids in the last few minutes.

Note: one way to keep up-to-date on "the good stuff" is to monitor the
bidding of several prolific buyers of Pentax gear. Some people place a
bid just to track the auction.

"Buy-It-Now" is currently the best hope for Ebay bargain hunters, but
you have to be looking at just the right time, and able to make a
quick decision about the purchase.

This information is provided free of charge, and is worth at least
twice the purchase price.
--
Happy Trails,
Texdance