Yeah, the only thing is that Buy It Now isn't available to Australian
bidders! :-(

I do understand the need of course to watch an auction very closely at its
conclusion and to bid accordingly if you REALLY want something, I have done
this myself, so I guess it makes me a "sniper" as well.  However, as you
pointed out, it is when they are new bidders with no feedback and especially
when they signed up on the day of the auction, that we all need to be
watching our backs!

The story of being contacted the following day by the seller claiming to
have had the highest bidder withdraw from the sale - now that is so
blatantly obvious that that person should be barred from selling just on
this action alone.  I mean if they're not happy with the way the auction is
heading, the should have either put a reserve on it or just advertised it as
a "for sale" in the newspaper, rather than hoping that bids on an auction
reach a certain level....

Well, we live and learn, and the internet is host to many and varied
characters!