I learned touch typing in the end of grade school, I believe, and
didn't use it for years and years.
Until I got a computer!
That was in 1986.
Since then, my typing speeds have improved dramatically, but the one
trick I unfortunately picked up on is: watching the keyboard.
My accuracy improved ten-fold, and the speed doesn't really suffer that
much at all.
I know it's a crutch, but if it's "type fast and accurately" time, for
me it's "watch the keyboard."

keith whaley