On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> is it better to:
>
> 1. center the recorded histogram
> 2. bias the histogram towards the lighter tones taking care not
>    no clip any highlights
> 3. bias the histogram towards the darker tones taking care not
>    to clip any of the darker/black tones
>
> I have a feeling the correct way is #2 or possibly #1 but I am not sure.
> Anyone know?

According to links that were posted here last week #2 is the best since
the sensor is linear, while the "f stop" light measure is logaritmic.

"If you do not use the right-hand fifth of the histogram for recording
some of your image you are in fact wasting fully half of the available
encoding levels of your camera."

  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

anders
http://anders.hultman.nu/