On Thursday, Jan 15, 2004, at 11:00 America/New_York, graywolf wrote:

Yes, I guess someone somewhere is making a WiFi Satellite Phone that you could send the stuff out directly with. But in today's world you may be looking a smart bomb down your neck if you did that. But I would guess that the Nikon D2H WiFi transmitter is not intended for photojournalists.

That would make it safer. The smart bomb would home in on the satellite phone while the camera (and presumably the photographer) is several hundred feet away.

I think more likely, the camera would be on the WiFi net set up by the military and they can dispense with the personal satellite phone. The media would also be jacked into the military net to receive the pictures in near-real-time. Of course, that would make the PJs and the media more embedded than ever.

--jc