Willy Robb wrote:

        < bunch 'o stuff on Kodak Kisok snipped >

> The machine I have in my lab is also very under computered, and
> doesn't have sufficient resources to run the peripherals. It's
> not bad scanning a print, but it takes about 12 minutes to scan
> a negative at full resolution.

        :^)    I usually scan a print at home and make an ~1.2meg
               JPEG (it won't read TIFF!) all spiffed up in P-Shop.
               I put this on a floppy and use the dye-sub for better
               enlargments than the Konica "Digital Blunder" minilab
               can make. My main beef is that there is no "print to
               page" option, so you have to waste kilobytes on the
               floppy by putting your full frame image into a blank
               canvas in *exactly* 8x10 proportion. The image editing
               software is quite crude, but being able to *only* have
               8x10 crops for enlargment unless you waste image data
               sucks. Of course, I doubt that many folks use it from
               a floppy scanned and doctored up at home.

               ... and does it *ever* take some time to read in that
               meg-plus file!  Worse is that has to do it several times.

                when home dye-subs (I have seen some in catalogs) become
                affordable I may consider color home printing from the Mac

                Bill