On 27/1/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>>That is not necessarily true.  An unmoderated list with good involvement
>>by the list manager can generally keep things on topic by reminding
>>people not to drift too far off topic.  A steady but not too strong
>>hand doing this for a long period will grow a community that does a
>>good job of staying on topic.
>
>Complete tosh. I belong to three lists: one heavily moderated, one
>slightly moderated, one unmoderated. I know which one I like best
>(subject matter notwithstanding).
>
>This list has a soul.

Apologies. What I meant was that yes, that statement ( "A steady but not
too strong hand doing this for a long period will grow a community that
does a good job of staying on topic.") may be factually correct, but what
price on-topic? I belong to three lists: one heavily moderated, one
slightly moderated, one unmoderated. I know which one I like best
(subject matter notwithstanding).

This list *does* have a soul.

Cheers,
  Cotty