I scan BW negs in RGB. That way I can control the look of the gray or
tone them a bit toward a sepia or a selenium look if I wish. Plus, I
think I get better gradations of grayscale in RGB. When I want small
files I convert the scans to grayscale in PhotoShop after they've been
scanned, cleaned and adjusted.
Paul