Alin wrote:

>   Very likely a Canon clone, with a simplified user interface via a
> left mode dial and the new Safox VII autofocus system. Feature
> crammed, direct opponent of EOS-3 and Dynax-7 and aiming to the PZ
> owners.

I guess this S-1 is camera that went back to engineering for an upgrade. Its said that
the Dynaxx 7 is a minimum benchmark.

>   To me, the two new MZ cameras appear to be rather an updated MZ-3
> and a downgraded MZ-S.

The updated MZ-3 style bodies is very likely. I don't believe in the downgraded MZ-S
though. Pentax have said that the MZ-S is not the start of a new series and I believe
them. The MZ-S wasn't originally planned as I understand it. Pentax decided to develop
a stand alone digital camera but at some point during its development it was decided
to make a film version. Maybe to justify high developing costs? The then extra
development of the film based MZ-S delayed the "flagship" (whatever that camera is;
MZ-1 or S-1?).
If Pentax indeed plan to make another series of cameras; the S-series (this is indeed
not unlikely. There are limits of how many features you can cram into an MZ-style
body. Besides, I doubt Pentax would make an S-1 as a stand alone model), then it make
sense to let MZ-series stay conservative and simple and let the more feature laden
models be limited to the larger S-bodies. An S-5 as F80 competitor is then not
impossible.
Unless it is so, the existence of the MZ-S seems hard to explain. It must fill some
sort of hole in the future Pentax line-up. I mean, if upgrades of the MZ-3 will be
feature laden wouldn't they then cannibalize the MZ-S?. Now, if we visualize the MZ-3+
models (MZ-4, 2, 1) as conservative like the MZ-3 and the S-1 with interface like the
Z-1p, then the MZ-S makes sense. Its the small, lightweight, sturdy but capable body
that combine easy of use and simplicity with speed of operation.

Pål