http://www.photographyreview.com/reviews/35mm_zoom_lenses/product_6285.asp

With regards to Vivitar, their 'pro' lens range are the
series 1. These lenses are good performers and overall
are considerably better than the Sigma offerings when
built quality and so forth is taken in to account.

Having said so much, i have yet to hold one together with a MZ/ZX body.
So i cannot comment further.

I would still advise getting a new fast lens.  Tokina ATX-Pro is what
i fell in love with recently.  Do consider its 28-80mm/f2.8, i can safely
say that its no doubt one of the best third party pro lens at this range.

At 09:25 PM 3/28/2001 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi again,
>
>Well, I have been offered the following lens for au$195.
>
>http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=191726&size=lg
>
>http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=191724&size=lg
>

>Could you guys offer me some advice as to whether or not this would be a
>good buy (I can't afford to "waste" the money that I am able to spare for
>this)?
>
>I am looking at it as a replacement to the Sigma 28-80mm/3.5-5.6 Macro, that
>I lost in the PZ-1P accident.  I have been told that this Vivitar is a very
>good lens and have found it listed on the "Cult Third Party Lenses" web
>page.  However, I would still like to know these things;  Would it be a
>suitable replacement to the lens I lost, or would it be worse/better?  Is
>the au$195 (approx. US$90) a fair price to pay?  Will this lens be able to
>be used on my MZ-50 with the meter functioning correctly?  (I have been told
>that it is a PKA mount, but that there is no "a" setting on the aperture
>ring?!?)  How well does this lens perform in its "macro" mode?
>
>Following the loss of my Sigma lens, which although was very slow, I no
>longer have a zoom lens in any way shape or form, nor do I have anything
>that has macro capabilities.  Those of you that have seen my stuff on
>photo.net will know that I have recently acquired a growing interest in
>macro and close up photography, so I am desperate to at least replace the
>lens that I lost, to upgrade it would be even better, but its that funny
>thing called "lack of money" stopping me yet again....
>
>Thanks for any advice you guys can give on this...
>
>Tanya.
>
>-
>This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List.  To unsubscribe,
>go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Don't forget to
>visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org .

Snail:  Pobox 56-86, Taipei, Taiwan ROC
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]