Hello Kevin,

That sounds a bit odd.  Since the camera is not involved at all in the
exposure setting (I assume).  When I use studio flash (Alien Bees) and
meter with my Gossen Luna Pro Digital F, the exposures are just about
right.  I would think that perhaps your meter is calibrated just a bit
off.  At least, if you set the *istD on full manual exposure and then
metered the scene and set the camera, the exposure value should be
about right.  I would expect the same behavior if you set manually
for an outdoor shot with no flash and with a separate meter.

If you had a film camera that you manually set based on some external
meter reading and the exposure was off, you would first suspect the
meter accuracy.  Second, perhaps the shutter speeds of the camera and
third, the lens aperture closing in time.

Seems to me that your problem is totally unrelated to TTL flash
metering on the body.  Care to enlighten us a bit on the details of what
you are doing?  Are you using studio strobes that use your TTL
ciruitry in the camera?

--
Best regards,
Bruce