Hello Kevin,

What film do you use?  If negative, could still be the latitude of the
film that is rescuing you from the underexposure.  Digital responds more like slide
film.
What happens if you do an outdoor shot manually with an external meter reading on both
slide film and *istD.

Seems to me the problem you have is unrelated to flash.

--
Best regards,
Bruce