Bill and Tom,

I spent time working for the railroads 30 years ago.  Everybody in the Operations
Department would have given up their higher paying management jobs to be at the
throttle of a Steam Locomotive again.

The Maintenance Department killed steam.  Most railroads ran extensive shops where
they could virtually build/rebuild a locomotive from the ground up.  The N&W shops are
a good example of this.  But a steam locomotive is a leaky tea kettle on wheels.  They
spent 50% of their time in the shop being patched/repaired/boilers cleaned out.
Diesels spent 90%+ of their time in service.  It was really no contest... more
availability, simpler maintenance, less costs.

And something about the 8:1 figure troubles me.  Trains got longer and slower with
diesel equipment.

The physics of railroading has a lot to do with the friction of steel wheels on steel
track (very slippery).  The weight of a locomotive determines how long/heavy of a
train it can start rolling.  A 2-8-8-2 is one heavy locomotive, but I'd bet 2
diesel-electrics still out weigh it.  So the pair is capable of pulling a longer train.

This is what happened in the '50's.  Steam locomotives were replaced by
diesel-electrics and trains got longer because the diesel-electrics could get a longer
train rolling.  One long train required only half the crew of two short trains.  The
Operations Departments weren't rocket scientists, but they figured the costs out.

The real shame for the steam fans among us was the horsepower end of the equation.  A
steam locomotive had power to spare.  Any train that you could get rolling (remember
friction), you could do 60 miles per hour with.  Trains were shorter and blazed past
us belching fire, steam, and smoke.

A pair or triple of diesel-electric locomotives could get longer trains rolling, but
didn't have enough horsepower to do high speeds.  20 miles per hour became a good
operating speed for a freight train.

This also made the Maintenance of Way Departments happy.  It was much easier to
maintain 20 mph roadbed than 80 mph railroad.

So that's why steam died in the US.  Every railroad needed to keep costs down to
compete with truckers, who were stealing the business.

Regards,  Bob S.