Pat,

Thanks for the comments.  I don't know the weight of the old 2-8-8-2 that Graywolf was
talking about.  I would guess less than 550,000 pounds, so a pair of 6-axle
diesel-electrics weighing 578,000 could exert more tractive effort and pull a bigger,
longer train.

I didn't know about backing up into a derailment, or only allowing 24 powered axels
for fear of just ripping the rails out from under the locomotives.  I think all the
airbrakes go on at once as you loose pressure in the brake lines.  Perhaps as you
bleed air from the front (locomotive) end of the line, the brakes are applied first in
the front, but I'm surprised to hear it makes much difference.

Regards,  Bob S.