>From: William M Kane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Otis,
>
>    I know this is getting a bit off topic, but I need to step up on
>the soap box here:
>
>    Yes, the "school system" is churning out many students who can't do
>what is described below, and I will be the first to admit that.
>However, what you described is not just a matter of learning the "three
>R's" . . . it goes well beyond that . . . it is called work ethic.  Now
>a work ethic can be started to be taught in school, but it is one of
>those things that is reinforced if not totally taught at home.  If
>parents and communities don't stand up and help the school system teach
>this, the USA will continue on the same trend it's on.  We can't stand
>up at the polls and demand "no child left behind", but then turn around
>the next day and complain that the taxes are too high, and we need to
>cut school funding. . . . we also can't place total blame on the school
>systems.  Look at the leading countries (academically) cultures and
>you'll see that the learned behaviors we seek are not taught in toto in
>the schools.
>
>    Otis, I hope you do not think I am attempting to flame you.  I'm
>just trying to vent some steam and perhaps share some of my
>understanding with the general public.
>
>IL Bill

Our problem is a cascading one and point-directed fixes are only band-aids at best.
Yes, children are not learning a good work ethic.
Yes, NEA union power is protecting a bad system.
Yes, parents are uninvolved.
Yes, bad school boards put in poor curriculums.
Yes, teachers, even the best ones, began with a bad paradigm for education
(Dewey/Mann).

There's so much to fix.  But throwing money at it has been a major
contributor.  The cries (whines) are far too familiar.  Either its:
"We're not able to do enough, so give us more money" or "We're doing
a good job so everyone needs a reward".

For this their PR gets a gold star.  And that should be enough.  That's all the kids
got.  :)

CRB