i wonder if the 45 in the other hand had anything to do with it <g.

Alan

Cotty wrote:

On 16/2/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

I gave the clerk a ten dollar bill for an $8.59 purchase. She placed
3.50 change in my hand. I said, sorry, too much change, and tried to
hand it all back to her, but she figured feverishly for a couple of
minutes and proudly added another dollar to the pile in my hand.

I was a little embarrassed for her, but still feeling honest I said
sorry too much change I think it should be a buck forty-one total and
again tried to hand her the money back. The clerk went back to
figuring with furrowed brow, hearing the crowd in line start a
murderous murmur, and after much figuring and the people in line about
to kill me she added *another* dollar to the growing pile in my hand.

Hearing the train wreck of killer customers about to happen I smiled,
closed my hand and put the six bucks or so in my pocket, said
"Perfect, thanks" and left the building.

Ethics question: if I had tried one more time to get the right change,
would it have been suicidal, considering the angry mob in line behind
me?

She might have just handed you the cash register.

Cheers, Cotty

___/\__ || (O) | People, Places, Pastiche ||=====| www.macads.co.uk/snaps _____________________________ Free UK Mac Ads www.macads.co.uk