Hi,
   If it's true (and I am inclined to believe it, judging from Leica's
   reaction of confirming a development of M digital rangefinder),
   this would be just this and the last year's best news! I really
   like my old M Leica (although I _do_ use it for shooting, you can
   judge at http://fotof.wz.cz some reportage photography I did with it), the
   rangefinder view is for the documentary I do much nicer than a
   SLR. It might even mean I could use a "cheap" 8MP small sensor
   digicam for all low-iso flashed studio shots, while using the
   Leica or Bessa digital for "available night". I really
   disliked the recent digitals for available night, not because of
   noise (which is getting better and better), but because of their
   abysmal viewfinders (Pentax being the only and notable exception).
   Just try framing and squinting at small details with a DSLR with
   real 0.4-0.5 magnification! Especially with lenses like
   very slow 15-30/3.5-4.5 Sigma which are the only thing you have got
   if you want wide (again, Pentax goes the right direction with
   half-frame 14/2.8!).

   I always felt that Leicas and Pentaxes complemented nicely, both
   being cameras that were essentially niche (not in the gold period
   of Spotmatics), but very user-friendly. That said I didn't like the
   direction Pentax headed in the 90s and their apparent lack of
   direction afterwards. Now, with digital, it seems they are going
   the right way again - very user-friendly, no-nonsense cameras with
   good user interface AND good viewfinder. Leica plays a similar role
   for me.

   Unfortunately, now I am out of Pentax (partly because their lack of
   apparent direction in AF then, partly now, because the IstD price
   is way too high here). That might change in May when we get into the
   European Union, as I might buy the IstD quite cheaper in Germany or
   elsewhere and not pay the exorbitant tax and import duties here.

   Anyway, a digital Leica is a good move for me. I like old cameras,
   but need (and sometimes want) to use digital.

   Now it seems Nikon is losing their direction (their D70 consumer
   digicam can't use their very recent DX flashes, you must buy
   I-ttl flashes for it...), they are in similar position Canon was in
   the 80s. Minolta is dead to me (their new Maxxum sure looks nice,
   but no availability of good glass locally), and Canon is too
   expensive. Perhaps I will wait for the Bessa :) ? Or something new
   Pentax. I will see if they manage to hold their new direction. I
   really dislike the rapid changes in technology now.

   Just imagine it! Using lenses from the 30s on a digital camera!

Good light,
 Frantisek Vlcek