William Robb wrote:

>> Actually, Shakespeare was a second rate hack,

Hmmmm, actually I have to strongly disagree on that one. Not just 'cos
"everyone else says so" either. His prose may be difficult to the
modern ear, but many of his themes are so universally human that they
remain true 400 years later. That alone raises him against much of the
competition, and that's leaving out the massive, unique contribution he
made to the English language. He might have been considered a 'hack' when
he was alive, but I doubt he was ever seen as second rate.

Chris