Bill,

This is a great example, and it especially has meaning for
me.  Once or twice on this forum I've mentioned John
Pezzenti.  His claim to fame are the wonderful and exciting
photos he's made of eagles over the years.  While I don't
know what equipment he's using now, just a few years ago it
was manual focus cameras.  How'd he do it?  Well, two ways,
one being that he got to know the birds.  He'd go to their
nesting area year after year, until he knew them as
intimately as any human could know an eagle.  He knew what
their flight patterns were, could recognize individual
birds.  He'd even get up close to their nests, as over time
the birds came to know him, and lost some of their fear.

The other thing he did was that he'd continually practice
with his cameras.  He'd stand by the road that ran in front
of his house and practice focusing on the license plates of
the cars that went by.

Those two things, plus having a great eye, garnered him
great success, and hundreds of memorable images.

Doug Herr, who frequents the Leica list, is out
photographing birds here in Northern California using older
leica SLR bodies and long, relatively slow lenses.  And if
anyone knows anything about older Leica SLR's, they'll know
that there's no such thing as auto focus. Yet, by knowing
his subject well, he produces some outstanding photos.

kind regards,

shel