My MEII winder fires and advances the film when I press the
button.  The MX winders I had worked the way you describe, but
the MEII does not.  This irked me quite a bit because I used
that feature of the MX winder a lot for street photography.
Snap the pic, hold down the button, walk off, release the button
and wind the film.  My MEII winder will not do this.
--Tom