It was made a lot of places, my example is Made in Japan, (I feel so special).

At 06:44 AM 2/19/04, you wrote:
Just an interesting comment on this lens (FA28-70/4). . .
Literature says it was/is made in Taiwan, yet my example has a label
that says "Made in Vietnam."
I guess that's how they can sell  "A cheap consumer zoom that delivers
excellent results."  <g>

keith whaley

Stan Halpin wrote:

> Pentax has not used usm etc. for AF. A disadvantage of using
> it is that you disenfranchise all older lenses; Pentax's
> mechanical solution  means that old and new lenses work on
> old and new cameras.
>
> The FA28-70/4 has a good reputation for quality and a
> reputation for mechanical build which is consistent with its
> low price. It is ok, not the greatest. All in all this lens
> is suburb value - available at KEH in EX+ for just over
> $100, available on eBay for $75-100 in very good condition.
> About the only lenses of this quality available readily for
> that price that I can think of offhand would be the FA, A,
> or M50/1.4, the M135/3.5, maybe the A70-210.
>
> Stan
>
> chibitul smecher wrote:
>
> > Hi, does Pentax use the ultrasound technology found in some Canon and
> > Nikon lenses? I have a ZX-5n and I see that it uses a shaft (cannot find
> > a better word) to achieve the auto-focus, IOW the motor is in the camera
> > and there is a mechanical coupling between body and lens. This is not
> > very quiet :(... I see there are a few other contact on the lens mount,
> > so I wonder if other more expensive lenses got the ultrasound auto-focus
> > motor. I only have a zoom 28-70 f/4 AL lens.
> >
> > what about lenses where the front element does NOT rotate? using a
> > polarizer filter with 28-70 f/4 is not fun. And BTW, while others seem
> > to like the optical quality of this lens, I see very few that actually
> > mention the poor mechanical build.

I drink to make other people interesting.
-- George Jean Nathan