I am thinking of getting the Beattie Intenscreen Diagonal Split
screen for my PZ-1 since I have difficulty focusing with my
Pentax 35-105 f/3.5 manual focus specially when trying macro
shots.

I do not recommend Beattie Intenscreen at all. I had 3 in the past but they are coarse and vignet easily. Get the MZ/ZX-M (C74) screen instead.

How does one change the focusing screen? Will the instructions
come with the beattie screen? Can I do it at home? I am not very
technically inclined though reasonably so with electronics
and gadgets.

It is a piece of cake for the SF-X/SF-Xn/Z-1/Z-1p/MZ-S. There is a clip on the upper side of the mirror box, push it up and the screen will pop down. Remember to lay the camera mount facing up first however. In any case, do not try to touch or clean the screen with anything. Use the included tweezer to remove the screen and be careful.

Alan, where did you get the MZ-M screen from? Most shops don't
list it on their websites at least. I had called up the Pentax
support center and they said that it wont fit the PZ-1 and hence
weren't ready to sell one to me.

I can assure you it fits the Z-1p perfectly. Contract their parts department and ask for the MZ-M/ZX-M screen and say nothing else, forget their opinion.

Regards,
Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/features&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca