On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:20:02 +1000, Tanya Mayer Photography wrote:

>I took delivery of my *istD on Thursday 12 Feb - just over a week ago.  It
>took me that afternoon of shooting with it before I felt totally comfortable

>I had a major (well, minor really, but it generated alot more work for
>myself) catastrophe, when I arrived home after the first location shoot with
>the kids to discover that I'd had it set on manual white balance (rather
>than AUTO) the entire time - during which, I had shot in open shade, backlit
>situations, with full flash, with high speed flash, at sunset, with flash as

This is why I shoot RAW.  With RAW you can adjust any image just as if
you had the white balance set that way.  I downloaded the trial version
of Photoshop CS and used their RAW format importer.  It's GREAT!!!  Now
all I have to do is manage to afford to buy it :(

>a)  I have found that the preview shown on the LCD screen is not accurate
>and many shots that appear to be correctly exposed on previewing them are
>actually underexposed when I get them home.  Likewise, those that appear to

The preview in camera and also the preview in the Pentax software is
actually from a processed JPG embedded in the PEF file.  The only thing
I have found so far that shows you the correct RAW image is Photoshop
CS.

>I have been shooting with saturation and contrast levels reduced to preserve
>detail and then pumping them up in PS

Another reason for RAW.  You can do all this afterwards without loss of
quality.

>are HUGMUNGO (and TIFFS are even bigger) and with 512mb cards I can only fit
>30 or so images on the card!!  I was wanting to stay with 512mb cards just
>to get around the possibility of losing too many images should a card fail,
>but with only 30 or so images per card - this is totally impractical when

I have 2 512meg cards and a 60 gig X-Drive.  The process goes like
this.

Fill up one CF card, pop it out and put the other in.
Put the CF card into the X-Drive turn on power and then press copy.
Put the drive and card back into the camera bag while it copies and
take more pictures on the new card.
Once it's full swap the cards around and copy the next card to the
X-Drive while you shoot the original one again.
You do need to delete everything off the card once you put it back into
the camera, but this doesn't take long.
The X-Drive is a lot smaller than a laptop, and the latest model
(X-Drive Pro) lets you do a directory check to make sure everything has
copied.  Unfortunately you can't copy back to the card and you can't
view the images on the X-Drive until you plug it (USB) into a computer.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon