On 31 Mar 2001, at 21:57, Paul Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently purchased a Hoya HMC Skylite filter for my 28-70 F4 AL. Today i
> accidently touched the filter and left a finger print... and now the finger
> print wont come off.... i tried cleaning it with a Microfibre lense cloth and
> then tried with some cleaning fluid but to no avail...
>
> Is there any way to get the mark off? I have quite a few other Pentax and
> Hoya filters, all the pentax ones are SMC, but the other Hoyas are not
> HMC... I have never this trouble with any of the other and have touched them
> lots of times..

Hi Paul,

Like Bill suggested cleaning the lens with a gentle soap of some kind will
often get rid of the mark however you shouldn't really wet any filters other
than non-sandwiched simple glass filters and also you have to really rinse
them well as the soap will remain under the retainer ring/lip.

The other option is to use an optically safe lint free swab (like Chemtronics
Cottontips, let me know if you want to know where to get them locally)
dipped in isopropyl alcohol (pure stuff from the chemist not the rubbing type)
and clean in a spiral motion working your way out from the centre, rotating
the swab. You might also need to use a few swabs on the one filter surface
depending on how oily the mark is. Stubborn marks on lens coatings can be
removed the same way.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA