Fred wrote:

> >> The A 24-50 is a constant f/4 and has the A contact, and seems to
> >> be built nearly to the M 24-35 standard, _much_ better than the A
> >> 35-70, for instance, in terms of build quality.
>
> > Ironically, I find the A35-70 to be a much better lens optically.
>
> The A 35-70/4 is surprisingly good optically, but I do have to admit
> that it's the most "plasticky" lens I own.

Really? Plastickly? For such a heavy lens?
Granted, the exterior rings are all hard black plastic, but the barrel
and all internals are metal. Maybe it's the glass that makes it heavy?
I wonder if it's the inherent looseness in the focusing mechanism/design
that contributes to the feeling you're experiencing? It's not the
tightest moving set of controls I've ever experienced.

keith