My sample of the A35-70, purchased used and showing obvious
signs of use, has more slop in focusing than most of my
primes, but is tighter than any of my other zooms.  This is one
lens I regard as more than adequate in build quality, despite
the plastic bits.

Keith Whaley wrote:

Fred wrote:

The A 35-70/4 is surprisingly good optically, but I do have to admit
that it's the most "plasticky" lens I own.

Really? Plastickly? For such a heavy lens? Granted, the exterior rings are all hard black plastic, but the barrel
and all internals are metal. Maybe it's the glass that makes it heavy?
I wonder if it's the inherent looseness in the focusing mechanism/design
that contributes to the feeling you're experiencing? It's not the
tightest moving set of controls I've ever experienced.