Hello Derby,

The samples that Butch showed me, looked nice, but did not look like a
soft focus lens.  Do you have any samples of this technique that I
could examine?

Thanks,

Bruce

No worries, Bruce. Here is a jpeg and it's original file for comparison. I think this works best when the background is somewhat dark.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~derbyc/softfocus.jpg (430k)
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~derbyc/normal.jpg (945k)

Details: The duplicate layer is gaussian blurred at 40px. Then blended in normal mode, with 70% opacity.

One other trick you can do (I didn't for this statue pic), is to erase the blurred layer around the eyes and mouth, to keep them sharp. Good for closeup portraits.

Hmmm...I wonder what David Hamilton is doing these days.

hope this helps.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~derbyc