I did some similar shots without the table and candles. To me, the message is gone. I was left with nothing more than a reclining nude, which is almost a cliche. The candles are symbolic. They're a metaphor for an altar, a suggestion of homage paid to a woman.

On Feb 28, 2004, at 6:31 AM, Lasse Karlsson wrote:

While the general pose, light and tones are pleasing, there are some ingredients that make the picture not completely satisfying to my eye.
The hand I think is great. The tan line too (I generally like them - but that's just my friend the monkey in me...: ) ).
However, the table and the lights disturb me. They seem too intrusive. I appreciate the difficulties and the idea behind this set up, but nevertheless.
Maybe a slightly higher shooting angle would have done it for me.
There is also someting to the shape of the glasses (as well as that of the brighter light).
As it is now, I found the table area loosing it's point, while - hade he surface not been interrupted by the lights, I might have found it okay.
The extreme rectangular frame also poses it's own problem. (Cropping out what's there of the pillow may have helped.)

Other than that I quite like it :)

Thanks,
Lasse

From: "Paul Stenquist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I'm quite pleased with this shot. It was done by candle light with the
Pentax 6x7 and 105/2.4 lens. It displays full rear nudity, but I doubt
that any adults would consider it offensive. I've posted it here
because I think it's a nice example of what can be done with unusual
lighting. Of course one candle would not have been sufficient here, but
six served quite nicely. I'm going to delete his photo tomorrow, but I
think most will enjoy seeing it in the meantime.
Paul
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2168146&size=lg