Tanja posted:
> The Newspaper deadline I was talking about?  I got a front page!!!!

Wonderful!! Doesn't that just feel fantastic?

> (snippage for space)>
> So, I took some shots, got paid 100 bucks, burnt them to cd, came home and
> took the kids to school.
>
> During the day I got phone calls from 3 separate newspapers looking for my
> pics.  So, I happily emailed them off, not asking for any $$ as I had
> already been  paid by the Mining Union and it was only like 15 minutes work.
> It would have been unethical to have been paid twice for the same job.

Um, no, it wouldn't. You're not selling the picture outright, like if it was
one single piece of canvas in a frame that only one person could possess at a
time; nor are these newspapers paying you for doing the job; they're paying you
because to use something that belongs to you.

I understand it's difficult to be a hard-nosed business person when dealing
with regular individuals off the street who may look like they're just getting
by, or with family members and friends of family members when you don't want to
damage relationships, but newspapers are accustomed to paying to use photos;
they usually have their rates set by their own hard-nosed business experts, so
if they say "We'd like your photo" the correct response is a completely
business-like, "By what time, and what do you pay?"

ERN