Because (based on having been there):

A. They were not quite up to the quality of the more normal focal lengths. No super-wide-angle was before computer design became the norm.

B. They were damn expensive (around $500, IIRC)compaired to their other lenses (even the 35/2.0 and 85/2.0 were only around $300, I had them but could not afford the 20mm). Remember we are talking 70's and 80's dollars here maybe 3-5x todays in real money.

C. Super-wide-angles were considered very specialized lenses, back then. 28's were about the longest most folks thought of using, even 24mm's were considered rathere specialized lenses.

--

Peter J. Alling wrote:

Pentax didn't sell many 20mm K or M lenses for some reason.

--
graywolf
http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."