Boris,

Pentax has a long history with lenses back into the '50's.
Designs have been changed over time, often gradually.
Some of the evolution can be seen in the old screwmounts.
They had manual diaphrams, cocking diaphrams, semi-auto, and full auto.
The underlying optical designs changed as well, often more compact in size.

When Pentax introduced the K-mount bayonette, it had a full line (30+) of SMC Takumar
screwmount lenses.  They were/are great quality optics, but none fit on the
bayonette... So they took many of the lenses and just put a bayonette on the same
optics.  I think the 85mm/1.8 and 135mm/2.5 are two lenses where they did just that.
On other lenses in the new K-bayonette, they made minor adjustments, think of them as
running changes in a manufacturing process.  They didn't try to surpass the optical
qualities of the SMC Takumars, they were just matching them in a form factor designed
for the new KX, K2, and KM cameras.

The breakthru was the ME camera.  The ME and MX are 3/4th size compared to the KX, K2,
and KM.  They needed to be partnered with a smaller set of lenses.  The original K
designs were/are that much bigger.

The ME was an extreemly successful camera.  Micro electronics did the same thing for
cameras as it did for watches.  Now a quality 35mm SLR was available at a much lower
price.  Pentax sold millions of them and had the marketing savy to sell a whole new
line of lenses with them.

Because of the size changes, not many of the optics are identical from the first K's
to the M's... maybe only the 50mm's.

With the A's, the size stayed generally the same as the M's and optics was often
identical.  The A's also introduced/re-introduced some of the more exotic stuff like
the star (*) lenses.

The designs in the F and FA lenses also change to make autofocus practical.

Looking at it from the other side, I'd speculate that more has changed optically from
series to series than has stayed the same.  Only the 50mm's seem to retain a direct
heritage to the original screwmount Takumars.

Regards,  Bob S.