J. Hein wrote:

<snip>

>Hope this is of interest to at least some members.

It was to me.  I just picked up one of these (SMC 85/2
"M") about a week and a half ago, and I too like the
long throw of the focus ring.  It seems that it makes
it easier to use for portrait pictures.  I have so far
been satisified with the optical performance (most
photos taken between f/2 and f/4) and it seems to do a
pleasing job with both color and b&w.  A very likable
lens, IMO.

Regards,

William in Utah.